Friday, June 6, 2014

"Seventy Years Ago Today..."



Repost...



In Honor and Memory of this historic date, I want to re-post this...

This is the 70th anniversary of this event.

___________________________

Soldiers, Sailors, and Airmen of 
The Allied Expeditionary Force!

You are about to embark upon the Great Crusade, toward which we have striven these many months.  The eyes of the World are upon you.  The hopes and prayers of liberty-loving people everywhere march with you.  In company with our brave Allies and brothers-in-arms on other Fronts, you will bring about the destruction of the German war machine, the elimination of Nazi tyranny over the oppressed peoples of Europe, and security for ourselves in a free world.

Your task will not be an easy one.  Your enemy is well trained, well equipped and battle hardened. He will fight savagely.

But this is the year, 1944!  Much has happened since the Nazi triumphs of 1940-41.  The United Nations have inflicted upon the Germans great defeats in open battle, man-to-man.  Our air offensive has seriously reduced their strength in the air and their capacity to wage war on the ground.  Our Home Fronts have given us an overwhelming superiority in weapons and munitions of war, and placed at our disposal great reserves of trained fighting men.  The tide has turned!  The free men of the world are marching together to Victory!

I have full confidence in your courage and devotion to duty and skill in battle.  We will accept nothing less than full victory!

Good luck!  And let us beseech  the blessing of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking.

Dwight D. Eisenhower
Supreme Allied Commander

____________


Seventy years ago this morning, June 6th, 1944, the Allied Forces landed in Normandy, France... to begin the liberation of France from  Nazi Germany, and to try to facilitate the end of WWII in Europe.

Most models that the Allied planners ran on the invasion indicated mortality rates as high as 90%...  Eisenhower had already written his letter of resignation from his role as Supreme Allied Commander, because there was no assurance  that the invasion would succeed.



May God Bless...



A few weeks ago, when I was out in Arizona Scattering Scooter, I noticed flags flying at half-mast.  Since the American Flag was at half-mast, I figured that something significant had happened.  It turned out that one of the remaining Navajo Code Talkers had just passed away.  I had no idea how few of them remained.

Mr. Chester Nez

I read in the news that the last remaining original Navajo Code Talker died yesterday.  These men were true American heroes... who communicated in their Native language... that the Japanese were unable to decode.

God Speed, Mr. Nez...

~shoes~



15 comments:

  1. Strange--before I even saw ur post this is what I had been doing.

    Researching this very historic moment.

    Then I started researching my grandfather death. He died March 15, 1945 on Iwo Jima.

    And I will go visit his grave this weekend.

    As well, as I had decided as a gift to my mom, I was going to try to find out as much as possible about his life and death. She cries with love when I do these type of things for her. She was 1 and 1/2 years old when he died. And it has forever had an effect on her life and how hard her life turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Strange--before I even saw ur post this is what I had been doing.

    Researching this very historic moment.

    Then I started researching my grandfather death. He died March 15, 1945 on Iwo Jima.

    And I will go visit his grave this weekend.

    As well, as I had decided as a gift to my mom, I was going to try to find out as much as possible about his life and death. She cries with love when I do these type of things for her. She was 1 and 1/2 years old when he died. And it has forever had an effect on her life and how hard her life turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder who the brilliant person was who came up with the idea to use Navajos and their language for secret messages. Brilliant idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you ever see the movie wind talkers...amazing it goes into the whole history of the Navajo code makers. Just amazing...I give thanks to all the men and dogs that gave their life on D- day as you know that the military has always been close to my heart. Several years ago I was a part of the soldiers angles group that would send letters to service men...I saw 3 men come home and I sent them my blogs to entertain them along with everyone's comments ...it was a pleasure and a joy...I will never know war but I am sure glad their are men and women out there who are willing to sacrifice....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey you.... I DID see that movie...
      Yes, I know you have always had a soft spot in your heart for the military...

      Yes, they do make a sacrifice... don't they?

      Amazing people...

      ~shoes~

      Delete
  5. Love these kinds of posts... a reminder of the past and the amazing people who fight to keep our freedom.. Thanks for posting this !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey you... how are you? Yes, there were people willing to go forth and fight for their country... things are so different today...

      Compare JFK's 'Ask not what your country can do for you... Ask what you can do for your country,' to today's mindset... 'what can I get today?'

      AUGH!!!

      Thank you!

      ~shoes~

      Delete
  6. I can't help but wonder if our leaders would be capable of leading us to victory in a war like that these days?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emile... we no longer have many national leaders who have been in harm's way like this... I think we are missing that skill set. I don't mean that all politicians need to have had military experience, but, I think they see the national issue from a different perspective...

      ~shoes~

      Delete
  7. Terrific post. My dad hit Omaha Beach on June 6. He was quite a man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, JJ... my brother-in-law was there too... some of the stories he would tell... as he aged, he got to where he couldn't share the stories... he would just cry.

      Some of us just can't imagine the horrors...

      Yes, your Dad WAS quite the man!!!

      ~shoes~

      Delete
  8. I miss my friend Shoes. There. I said it.

    I hope you're doing much better now, buddy. Maybe this'll help: you look my age ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, Grumpster...

      Thank you, my friend... things have been rough... difficult... but I am better...

      Thank you...

      ~shoes~

      Delete
  9. The men who fought, fought with valor. Such a different war at such a different time than now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey you... yes... a different time... a different war...

      How are you?

      ~shoes~

      Delete