Saturday, May 18, 2013

"Travelin' Shoes..."





Gotta get on my ....

Travelin' shoes...

'Elvin Bishop'



Well...

I had talked about wanting to make a road trip to The Florida Keys... or to Utah... where great sights and great experiences awaited me...

I left one option out... that was that my good friend, Keith would want to go somewhere...  his wife died just about a year and a half ago... he called wanting to go somewhere... and wanted my company...

How could I say 'no?'

Of course, I couldn't...

So I asked... where do you want to go??

... and he said, 'Texas!'

So... I packed my shiznit... told my buddy, Keith, I was coming to get him... and headed out for Arkansas.

We made stops in Waco, where we had lunch, and then in Austin before hitting San Antonio.


We stopped and had great chili cheeseburgers in Waco... which I  have been told can be interpreted as "We Ain't Comin' Out!"  They were good!! YUM!!

Then we headed on towards Austin... where we spent some time in the South Congress Area... one of the neatest places I went was...




Holy Fuckin' Cow!!!!!!

This place was cool!!!!

Something funny happened there... besides me almost spending $100 on a shirt that would have made me King of the Cowboys!!!


This totally hot looking woman was telling some of her friends that this guy she had been seeing told her that he was going to have to step away from their relationship for a bit while he pondered her tattoos...

(not her but it could have been...)

Obviously, this made me laugh... she turned and looked at me... came over and put her arms around me and asked, 'what do you think about that, sweetheart?'

I told her she should dump his ass!!!!  She said, 'I DID!!!'

We also spent some time down on Sixth Street... dropping in and out of bars...

Anyway... we went on to San Antonio... and stayed at the Menger Hotel...

Back in the day...

Today...

One of the best known parts and stories about the Menger Hotel is the Menger Bar... where Teddy Roosevelt met and formed the Rough Riders...

The Menger Bar...

We didn't see Teddy, but we hosted drinks and toasted to him... as well as the brave souls who died right next door at the Alamo...

I'm not sure what happened, but I think I got some of the best photos of the Alamo!!!!





I went back at night to specifically get some shots... I LOVE how they came out...

I have more photos... and I may do one post dedicated to the Alamo...

My buddy, Keith, said of this trip... "We had fun!  I got my fun base line reset!"

That alone says that the trip was worth it all...

~shoes~

31 comments:

  1. That sounds like a fantastic trip Shoes. Wonderful also for Keith to have you along, just hanging out doing guy stuff. I hope he's doing OK now. Hugs to you both xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, Ms Leah...

      It was a fast and fun trip. I think he is better...

      How are you?!?

      We have an approaching storm from Hell coming in!! Thunder and lightning and bears, oh my!!!!

      ox

      ~shoes~

      Delete
  2. You're such a good friend! I love the last shot of the Alamo at night, it's really something else.

    Drinking, shopping, eating burgers, historical sight seeing and meeting pretty girls--- sounds like a dream road trip come true for you!! Happy to know you had such a blast, it shows in your writing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, Ms Princess...

      It was a fun trip... we had a good time.

      I regret not buying the 'King Of The Cowboy' shirt... I'm sure I could have worn it in class... :o(

      ;o)

      ~shoes~

      Delete
  3. Elvin Bishop Rocks! One of my all time favs. Sounds like you guys had a fun trip. He needed it and having been in his "shoes" (no pun) I know what he needed. My base line reset was a trip to Miami, only I went alone...but didn't totally spend it alone...lol. Good to hear from you my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, Barb!!

      Your trip sounds like that would have made a great post!!

      It's good to hear from you!

      ~shoes~

      Delete
  4. Love those boots! You saw some great sights. Texas has some awesome history. I keep telling myself that I want to go someday.... Thank you for sharing your photos and I hope to see the rest in future posts! I love Keith's summation of the trip:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Ms robin... aren't those boots the shiznits?!?!!?

      My buddy, Keith, is a good guy!

      ~shoes~

      Delete
  5. I so envy your wanderin' ways. How much fun you had and thank you for sharing with us, your loyal readers. Tattooed women and Teddy Roosevelt and The Alamo...Too much fun. And Keith couldn't have picked a better time to get you to saddle up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, Linnnnnnnnnnnn...

      We had a blast... how are you doing??

      Great, I hope!

      ~shoes~

      Delete
  6. Good morning Shoes. So glad you had the opportunity to get away from it all! Traveling is good for the soul especially with a friend =)

    My God Daughter that lives with me has some righteous tats! She also has dreads and gages if you're up on all of that! She is beautiful too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, Ms Dixiebelle...

      My daughter has a bunch of tats as well... no dreads... what are 'gages?' Shows I'm out of the loop here... I googled it, but really didn't learn anything. It kept wanting to take me to 'gauges'...

      I trust all is well with you!

      ~shoes~

      Delete
    2. Hi Shoes...I misspelled it lol...gauges is correct. Her ears were pierced and then she stretched the piercing and now she wears the huge gauges. They are at least an inch wide if not bigger which means the holes in her ears are huge! Looks like a tribal woman from Africa! They are beautiful in but her ears look strange when she takes them out!

      Life is good and I have no complaints except that I haven't won the lottery yet =)

      Delete
    3. I haven't won the lottery either... :o(

      Of course, that probably has to do with my never having played the lottery. :oD

      ~shoes~

      Delete
  7. Love those cowboy boots. Just don't sent me any of those pink ones, Shoes. Black is beautiful, baby. Making cute women ditch their boyfriends eh? Love those pics too!

    P.S. Somehow I just knew your shoes would be traveling. CLICK!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, Grumpster...

      If one is going to wear pink cowboy boots, one had better know how to fight, I'm thinking... ;o)

      How are things in your world??

      ~shoes~

      Delete
    2. I'm thinking the same thing. Things in my world... well, I've been ill for a week (my lungs) and now I've got this mean ear infection on top of that.... as a bonus for being such a good boy. ;)

      Delete
  8. Awwww. So glad y'all had such a good time! Reseting the fun baseline sounds like a damn good idea :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, Annie...

      We need to work on resetting YOUR baseline ... ;o)

      ~shoes~

      Delete
  9. That was a great trip. My son lives in San Antonio and says it is always lively. I missed you coming to Florida, but I'll catch you next time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good morning, JJ...

    The summer isn't over yet... I would still like to get down to the Keys...

    ~shoes~

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well...it's my first visit here and..ahem..what a groovy life you live then!

    Thing is. If a hot chick comes over and asks "What do you think about that sweetheart?" whilst draping her arms round your neck I can think of some killer answers that might have had you knee deep in cowboy boots. If you get my drift.

    I wanted to go to the keys because I want to drive down that road in the middle of the sea, I wanted to get all artsy and be cool and drink mojitos like Hemingway. Trouble is, when I made that decision a bloody hurricane came and blew it away. I ended up in Sarasota instead, collecting sand dollars from the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well...it's my first visit here and..ahem..what a groovy life you live then!

    Thing is. If a hot chick comes over and asks "What do you think about that sweetheart?" whilst draping her arms round your neck I can think of some killer answers that might have had you knee deep in cowboy boots. If you get my drift.

    I wanted to go to the keys because I want to drive down that road in the middle of the sea, I wanted to get all artsy and be cool and drink mojitos like Hemingway. Trouble is, when I made that decision a bloody hurricane came and blew it away. I ended up in Sarasota instead, collecting sand dollars from the beach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good afternoon, Juliette!!

      You might should share those killer answers with me for the next time something like this happens!!! ;o) I most certainly get your drift, dear... :oD

      Your reason for wanting to go to the Keys is pretty much the same as mine!

      Mojitos!!!! I LOVE great mojitos!!!!

      Of course, there's nothing wrong with collecting sand dollars from the beach around Sarasota either.

      Ever been to Sanibel Island??

      ~shoes~

      Delete
    2. Good afternoon :) Got myself a nice MOJITO here...slurp!

      Of course I'm willing to share some awesome, killer lines with you, but don't blame me when the queue of adoring femme fatales starts up ;)

      No...I have not been to Sanibel Island...hold on...let me look that up...OH MY GOD - Why did I not know of this place? Obviously I shall NEED to go there too...ugh.

      Delete
    3. Mojitos!!!

      AUGH!!!

      Captiva Island is right next to it... but the Keys are calling me something fierce!!

      ~shoes~

      Delete
  13. oh those cowboy boots just had me drooling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good afternoon, Ms Ana...

      Are those boots the shiznits or WHAT?!?!?!

      I hope all is well with you!!

      ~shoes~

      Delete
    2. all is good. Can't complain :) Hope same with you.

      Delete
  14. The Alamo after dark is a fantastic picture! Good choice to go back.

    Your advice to the woman was spot on. Any dude that has to ponder a woman's ink isn't worthy of her!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi there, NiteByrd!

    Yes, I like the after dark photo a great deal! Thank you!!

    Re: The ink advice, if he didn't care for it, he never should have dated her...

    ~shoes~

    ReplyDelete