John Fogerty (foreground) and brother, Tom over his left shoulder
John wanted a clean break from the band as well as from the recording company with whom he was obligated for more songs and albums... in exchange for his release, Fogerty assigned all rights to the CCR library to Saul Zaentz, owner of Fantasy Records.
Zaentz later sued Fogerty, claiming that the chorus to a Fogerty song (The Old Man Down The Road) was identical to that of a CCR song that Zaentz owned (Run Through The Jungle )... During the law suit, Fogerty showed up at court with a guitar, and demonstrated to the judge and the Court, that the two songs were indeed different compositions, and that the primary reason that the two songs sounded similar was because he had in fact written both compositions... Needless to say, Fogerty won his case.
He wrote and recorded this song, in part, to document the event, and is mocking Zaentz...
I really like Fogerty's work... his compositions are more simple than those of Steely Dan, yet, there are great subtle trills and fills within his songs... I seem to discover new licks every time I listen to them...
This is one of my mostest favoritest Fogerty songs...
This next song was probably just a filler on the first CCR album, but Fogerty does an outrageous LIVE performance here... 'embedding' was disabled for this video, but you can find it HERE... Go there... listen and watch... I think it's worth the time...
I hope all is well with you... that things are going well for you... that you are happy...
~shoes~


Didn't know that story. Video looks like a bit of Will Vinton work. Pre-CG animation. Cool stuff.
ReplyDeleteOh Wow. Didn't know that. Sad...about the brothers. Fame and fortune. I'm never sure they are such a good gig.
ReplyDeleteI liked both songs. Haven't heard either of 'em but must say I like Change in the Weather the most. Going on my iPod now :)
I'm doing okay Shoes. Hope you're keeping your head above water!
Wearing my Red Chucks on a friday. Can't be all bad! :)
ReplyDeleteI love CCR! Personally I love Bad Moon Rising.
ReplyDeleteI've heard of Creedence Clearwater Revival but had no idea about their break-up or the reason behind it.
ReplyDeleteI love the video mocking Zaentz- especially seeing the little piggies flying!
Oh! I heard this story a few months ago! Sad.... but I would have loved to have been in that court room!!!
ReplyDelete;-D
xoxoxo
gobbles the destroyer
...while I grew up adoring CCR, this is the first I've heard of their "story behind the story."
ReplyDeleteThanks so much!
El
I grew up listening to CCR. They were amazing and yes John Fogarty was much the reason I think. Sad though what happened to the band and his relationship with his brother. He's still doing some good stuff though. Thanks for a great post as usual.
ReplyDeleteI love CCR and John Fogarty. It's too bad that they had to split like that. "Centerfield" is one of my favorite JF songs. Hate baseball, love the song!
ReplyDeletei always thought that the fogerty-CCR plagiarism case was allowed to go to trial just because the judge wanted john fogerty to take the stand and play songs for the court. i mean, the case was so patently silly - you simply cannot plagiarize from yourself; it's impossible - that no other explanation is possible...
ReplyDeleteand as for the music: two of my favorite scenes in all of movie-dom involve CCR, and both are in "the big lebowski." first, of course, is the "looking out my back door" scene where jeff bridges is driving. the second, which is really tied, is the "let's take that hill" scene when "run through the jungle" is playing.
ahhhhh shoes~ you're so good to us.
ReplyDeleteokay, i'm going to go listen now. I had no idea John Fogerty was part of CCR. or that his brother Tom was in CCR (dahhh). My sister was a Fogerty freak back in the day. Does this mean that John died? or did Tom die? see how out of it I am.
Fogerty makes me feel... lighter.
oh by the way, TOTALLY unrelated, I saw several pairs of super high top converse sneakers in NOLA - they went up to just below the knee. very cool, but I think you have to be 16 and under to wear them. we'll see. xoxoMonkeyME
Bands from my era! How refreshing. You have enlightened me tonight, Professor.
ReplyDeleteStop by my new blog and follow me, please! I promise to make you smile every day! Well, maybe just grin a little.
Malisa
pentupphotos.blogspot.com
Completely agree about Fogerty and CCR - very simple songs on the surface, but there's a lot of subtlety when you try to play the songs. And as you say, so many fantastic little fills and licks. Great post!
ReplyDelete