Saturday, August 21, 2010

'Locks Of Love...'

This is a text exchange that took place just moments ago between my son, BoyShoes...


BoyShoes  1:44:43 PM:  Cut off all my hair!

DadShoes  1:45:02PM:   WHAT?!?!?!?!    WHEN?!?!?!?!  WHY?!?!?!?!?

BoyShoes   1:45:49PM:   Donated it to 'Locks Of Love!'

DadShoes   1:46:14 PM:  I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!

BoyShoes    1:52:37 PM:  I love you too!

_________________


Lil BoyShoes

He is SUCh a sweet boy... if a Dad can be allowed to say such things about his son!!
He has always had such a warm, soft heart... so caring... so considerate of others... and he had this marvelous shoulder-length blonde wavy hair that the girls just adore!!


Older, longer, haired version of BoyShoes



If you aren't familiar with 'Locks Of Love,' you can read HERE about the organization...  I will say this... from what I know, they are a VERY WORTHWHILE organization...

I am not sure if I could be more proud of him than I am right now...

I LOVE you, BoyShoes!!!!


~DaddyShoes~

12 comments:

  1. Awwwww that is such a nice gesture! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sweet post...and much to the delight of the girls, it'll grow back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Locks of Love is awesome. I'm fortunate to have fast growing hair and can donate a healthy length every other year.

    Kudos to Boy Shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When you have cancer it's like you're balancing on your tippy toes at the very edge of a cliff overlooking an endless pit of black. Your thoughts, emotions... actions - all of you - shift. Things you were not aware of before you suddenly become ultra aware of... things that you WERE aware of before become so unimportant they are no longer noticed...

    One of the things that you might NOT be so aware of is your hair. You curse the bad hair days, but you take it all in stride - totally taking it for granted. Then? One morning you wake up and your hair is left on your pillow... or you run your hand through it and you come back with a palm full... so you not only feel defective for owning a yucky disease... but you then feel ugly.

    Now... imagine all of that as a child.

    Boy Shoes is helping to heal the "ugly" feeling in countless lives of children - who will in turn pay it forward in their lives... that is one of the most commendable of actions and he's helping to build a better world... one Lock of Love at a time...

    be proud. Like father, like son.

    xoxoxoxo
    gobbles

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kids are such wonders!

    Good job DadShoes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. BoyShoes is awesome!! Just like his dad!! lol

    My kid has done locks of love a couple of times. We checked it out too, very worthwhile organization.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with peedee...Apples don't fall far from the tree...their sweet lovable daddy tree. I heart you, darlin'!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is the sweetest thing I have read all day. Seriously. I feel weepy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is really amazing of him, very sweet. My daughter did that a few years back. Fabulous cause! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was just talking to a guy the other night at the karaoke club who donated his hair to Locks of Love. I believe it has to be 11 1/2 inches or longer. He looks like a different man w/out his long hair and ponytail but he looks good and what he did says a lot about him.

    Your son sounds like a great guy, and he's a cutie, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ain't it emotional when they do something that grown up and compassionate all on their own?

    ReplyDelete
  12. @ Spring Flower, pat, Jessica, Charlene, Beryl, Robin... BoyShoes is SUCH a delight!! When I speak of him, people tell me that I obviously love him more than GirlShoes. If you've read much of my blog, I've written at length about the trials and tribulations that my daughter and I have shared...

    I love them differently... that's all. Multiple DUIs and arrests just make us that way...

    @ Red.Neck.Chic aka Gobbles... *hugs* Your comment tells a great deal about you. Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers always...

    @ PeeDee, Vixen, Scarlet Ily... I have donated once. When I donated, the required length was 10"... I tend to go through long hair/short hair phases... I feel a long-haired phase coming on... ;o) I have grey streaks in my hair, and they don't want grey hair... :o(

    It is indeed a noble and great cause, as per Red.Neck.Chic's comment...

    I can't wait to see him again... as Ily said, it changes the appearance so! The last time I had a drastic hair cut (from long-hair phase to short-hair phase), we had just hired a new secretary in our division... I came in from the hair cut and went to my office door while searching for my keys... and the secretary said to me, 'Mr. Shoes isn't in right now, but he should be back soon...' to which I turned and replied... 'I will wait inside for him...' LOL

    @ Linnn... yeah, that's when one realizes that they are figuring things out just right...

    Did I say I was proud of the little rat?? :oD

    ~shoes~

    ReplyDelete