"Empath"...
Are you familiar with this word?
This usage??
As used in science fiction, it is a noun used to define "a person with the paranormal ability to apprehend the mental of emotional state of another individual.
The usage to which I am referring is that of the word on which it is based... 'empathy'... which means that one has the ability to identify with or understand the feelings, emotions, or difficulties of another person.
An 'empath' is a person who is "gifted"... (or maybe not...) in sensing and sharing the pain, hurt, grief that others endure... almost as if through osmosis... it permeates another...
I can remember once upon a time thinking about becoming a counselor... a grief counselor... and it dawned on me one day that I couldn't do that kind of work... I would end up being in the same shape as the person I would be trying to help.
A friend of mine who is a counselor that works with returning servicemen and women recently had to go through treatments himself... because he had taken on so much of the pain and hurt that his patients/clients had experienced.
Here is one interesting article I found on the topic... of course, this one claims to identify 30 traits of an 'empath'... personally, that sounds like 'overkill' to me...
I've always been good at 'helping others' with their problems... I've been told that I always know "the right things to say"... or that I know "the right things to do." I do think this happens because I can so sense their hurt and pain.
This past week, I had a long telephone conversation with a good friend and colleague who is in the process of losing his Mother... When he would speak of watching her slowly slipping away, I could so relate... I experienced this when my Mom died... but what is there about some of us who are able to channel these emotions... feel these same feelings that others experience?
It is tiring... very draining...
"You either are an empath or you aren’t. It’s not a trait that is learned. You are always open, so to speak, to process other people’s feelings and energy, which means that you really feel, and in many cases take on the emotions of others."
It's as if it's waiting for us to come along... and soak it up.
It's not like we need something else to worry about...
A Decision Tree For Worriers...
(It really simplifies the Hell out of things...)
"Empaths are often quiet achievers. They can take a while to handle a compliment for they’re more inclined to point out another’s positive attributes."
I think I am this way... I have great difficulty talking about my achievements, yet, I can quick to celebrate the successes of others. It's easier for me to do. Maybe, just maybe, my inability to talk about myself has hindered my success. Maybe I should have been a larger bag of wind... a bunch of hot air.
Maybe I worry too much...
"Being in public places can be overwhelming: Places like shopping malls, supermarkets or stadiums where there are lots of people around can fill the empath with turbulently vexed emotions that are coming from others."
"Being in public places can be overwhelming: Places like shopping malls, supermarkets or stadiums where there are lots of people around can fill the empath with turbulently vexed emotions that are coming from others."
I know that I love to shop... go into stores or places where there are large groups of people... but after entering such places, I do get this sense of being 'overwhelmed' by some power. I never thought about it being the mass of personalities that could be at play.
This article really explains a great deal about who I am... who I have been... and maybe explains some of the problems I have experienced through out my Life...
I am going to have to read more about this...
Hmmm...
Do any of you share any of these traits?
~shoes~





"Empaths are often quiet achievers. They can take a while to handle a compliment for they’re more inclined to point out another’s positive attributes." That definitely describes me... I have a hard time accepting compliments.,.I guess it goes back to the fact that my mother rarely complimented me or noticed any attributes...She was great at showing me flaws that I did not realize I had...I remember when my grief counselor told me that I was a 'linear thinker'... no one ever told me that.. in fact I had her define it and I realized that that was in my makeup since I was little.. My Grandma loved my opinion on things... to me it was just second nature.. pure common sense.. I've always thought in steps.. easier to figure out the logical ending in things.
ReplyDeleteHi there, Chris... I know... when I read that linked article, it was amazing how much of that applied to me. Maybe too much.
DeleteHow have you been?
~shoes~
I think an empath is someone who can see beyond just what is evident... since I was the quiet one, my mom's relatives would call me reserve, the one who sat back and soaked it in... ( and,no, ain't bragging, just stating what I've learned in my many years.
ReplyDeleteI agree... we do seem to sit back and take in what is around us... and process it. Of course, I have been accused of having been too analytical...
Delete~shoes~
I know for me, it bugs me to see/hear something illogical.. I think that';s why i sit back and just observe. As far as the link u posted, I went thru that list and it mentions animals sensing empathtic people.. This may seem weird, but I noticed awhile ago whenever I am walking down the street and a dog approaches, they naturally perk up, and they make eye contact w/me... their eyes seem to communicate w/me...and they're always so friendly...how about you?
DeleteHi, Chris... I remember hearing/reading that animals can sense 'kind' people... maybe that can be intrepreted into animals can sense people that are able to 'tune into' them.
DeleteMost definitely.
This sounds totally insane/inane, but this makes SO much sense to me... and about me.
How is your Friday morning?
~shoes~
Very interesting link.
ReplyDeleteEmpathy can at times be a good thing. Sometimes lending an ear or a shoulder to cry on can be helpful to someone and knowing what they're going through but I think at the same time one has to be careful, you don't want all your energy to be drained. I don't know how grief counselors do it, listening day after day to other peoples' problems.
Good morning, Ms Princess...
DeleteYes... I am prone to being drained... I used to think that it was 'their' fault that I was being drained. Reading this and other sources has me realizing that it is MY problem.
Is Santa coming to see you? Have you been a 'good girl?' ;oD
~shoes~
I realized a few years ago that I have strong empathic traits. I told my best friend that I sometimes could literally feel the pain and sorrow of others. It IS draining!!
ReplyDeleteIronic that I have gone into the field I am currently in. Youth... mostly troubled or from difficult backgrounds... I hear their stories every day. I have to be very reflective and deflective rather than absorb the emotions and all the pain. One day this week, I was SO drained, I crawled into bed as soon as I got home and feel asleep. My husband was upset that I was going to bed so early, but I just think he doesn't understand how much energy it takes to deal with the students on a daily basis... not to mention the drain he puts on our relationship most of the time...
Another story for another time...
Big hugs!!
Hey you... I can see this side of you... most definitely. I understand your feeling so drained. I've not felt well for some time now... and I had fallen into the habit of coming home and falling asleep... I was so tired.
DeleteHow have you been?
~shoes~
Empathy can work many ways. If one is so blessed to have this gift they should use it wisely. Cry with s friend when it calls for it and tell a friend when they need to pick themselves up and carry on down the road because life gets better.
ReplyDeleteWhat will be will be--well yes what will be will be if u want to sit on the sideline and do nothing. Case in point.
My Professor could have stayed in his previous life of fear from neglect and abuse
OR
We help him by giving him Prozac and retrain him to realize that the abuse days r a thing of the past.
I am happy to report that the Profesdor is doing extremely well. He is turning into a playful loving cuddly pup whom realizes that his momma is not gonna ever let him be abused again.
So Professor Red Shoes it is my hope that come May
u will be blessed with the most meaningful career yet to be had and that u love a woman again in ur lifetime.
Hi there, Stormy... whatever happens for me will be what is supposed to happen. Conversations by a dear friend with another at the University of Mississippi has created the possibility of my being there in Fall, '15.
DeleteHow cool would that be...
~shoes~
U are so right my friend. Sometimes, I make life way more difficult than it needs to be by trying and controlling a lot. However, God does like to laugh at us. No???
DeleteI do hope and pray that the position opens up at Univerisity of Mississippi for u. U are a true Professor. And maybe a change of venue and some fresh blood will boost u in these last working years. My recent change in department most definitely have brought much peace and now I work with a good bunch of spiritual workers. I am very appreciated and loved. And it makes coming to work all that more pleasant.
I hope u know something soon. It's nice to know where we are going and leaving though bittersweet makes the transition sweeter.
Oh there's a name for us. Nice! Thanks for the heads up...I totally feel it.
ReplyDeleteGood morning, Ileana... how are you today?
DeleteYes, there is a word for us... of course, there have always been words that others have had for me...
HAR!!!
~shoes~
I'm not an empath, Shoes. What can I say? But I do care about people and listen to their problems and frustrations. I don't know why... people just tell me everything.
ReplyDeleteBlue--u are a good friend. That is what u are. And when people tell u everything it is because they sense they can trust you with what they have to tell u and that u will be truthful with them whether it is what they want to hear or not. People seek out truthful people. And we all know in our gut whether a person can be trusted or not.
DeleteYes... Blue is True Blue... ;o)
Delete~shoes~
Good morning, Grumpster... :o)
DeleteAs long as well feel... that is what is important. On the Wednesday night before Thanksgiving, a good friend whose Mother had been ill called me to tell me she had been admitted to Hospice Care... he just needed to talk... I have that ability to listen and occasionally say the right things.
Maybe that is my gift that I have for others... my ability to listen and to care...
~shoes~
How kind of you to say that Miss Marples.
DeleteTrue Blue, baby I love you! That's what Madonna used to tell me, Shoes, when she wasn't scary yet. Good morning, my friend. I think one of the reasons I don't have children is I don't want them to see me suffer and I don't want to see them suffer. People in need... sometimes it just breaks my heart to be unable to help. Like my neighbor across the street... he's hoping to still be around come X-mas... There's nothing I can do but listen.
Oy, did I used to worry. All the time. Then, to make it worse, I tried to control everything I could get my hands on as a way to well, feel in control in a world where we are so powerless over so much.
ReplyDeleteNowadays, I'm fairly stress free. After a humbling experience in my life, it just put things into perspective.
I do have to disagree with one thing though - I do believe empathy can be learned. For me, it always came naturally. My hubby? Not so much. He's a recovering addict who had no concept of others feelings until he nearly lost everything, including me. He was taught empathy by me and our rockin' counselor. But, it's a process. A long one at that.
Love the Samuel L Jackson meme. One of my favorite parts in the movie. Take care, Red.
Good morning, Elsie... I think the more our lives are out of control, the more we strive to control events... all which may be very moot.
DeleteI think empathy can be learned as well... but I think this term and definition take it to a higher level... someone who innately has this level of 'touch' or 'feel' for others.
I trust all is well in your world...
~shoes~
empath and it sucks sometimes ... like a slap in the face when people are all loaded with negative/angry energy
ReplyDeleteHi there!!
DeleteYes... it is draining... and I struggle with being able to stop it... turn it off.
AUGH!!!
How have you been? How is your art work coming along??
Have you been on any wonderful trips??
~shoes~