Sunday, March 16, 2014

"Windsor Ruins..."




(my photo)


South of Vicksburg, MS are two cities that are rich in antebellum (before the war) architecture,  Port Gibson and Natchez.  One can find  magnificent homes here... from back once upon a time when cotton was king. The topic of this post is "Windsor"... or more specifically, "Windsor Ruins"... the remains of a magnificent home that was built between these two cities.

"Windsor" was built by Smith Coffee Daniell II, a wealthy landowner. Construction began in 1859 and was completed in 1861.  Windsor was the largest antebellum home in Mississippi and sat on a 2,600-acre plantation in Claiborne County. The house cost about $175,000 ($3.5 Million in today's dollars) to build.  It was grand... it was opulent.  Mark Twain is said to have visited here many times... 

And as so many stories like this go, Smith Daniell only lived in the house for several weeks before he died at the age of 34.  So it goes, huh?



The image above is a drawing completed by  Henry Otis Dwight, a Union officer with the 20th Ohio Infantry, as to what the house looked like. This is the only depiction of the house created by someone who actually saw the home.  During the Civil War, the house was occupied by Confederate military, and then later, by General U.S. Grant and members of his military detachment.  The house was also used by Union forces as a hospital... and is cited as being one of the reasons that Grant didn't burn the house to the ground.



This is another artist's rendition of 'Windsor'...  there is a slight variation from the above drawing, in that this one shows steps on the two sides that the viewer can see... the prior drawing shows steps only at the front of the house.  It may be that the above drawing was a suggestion for what the house could look like, as opposed to what was actually built.  


Front Steps At Windsor

These front steps have since been removed from the ruin, and donated to Alcorn State University, in Lorman, MS...


Current Installation
of  steps at
Alcorn State University

The wealth of the family was devastated during the war... it is estimated that Grant's forces burned over 31,000 bales of cotton that belonged to the family.  Since the American South supplied England with over 75% of the cotton they needed, the destruction of the cotton grown and processed by the South put a great crimp in the Confederate economy as well as that of England.

Stories have it that a Union soldier was killed on the steps shown above... other stories say that wounded Union soldiers died while being cared for at this site... and are buried on the grounds.

These stories are possibly why the apparition of a Union soldier is often sighted around the ruins.  I wish I had read more about the history of the site... I would have been interested in looking to see if I could have found the 'soldier'... there are also stories of music wafting from the ruins... I do have to admit to having heard music while at the site, but I didn't think it to be from years past... from happier times...


(my photo) 

I also learned after the fact that the family cemetery is close by... covered by brush and such... I  would have looked for it and found it...

Anyway... on the night of February 17, 1890, the house caught fire and burned to the ground.  There are several explanations out there about the cause of the fire... but all include a discarded cigar that found its way either into a trash heap... or next to a curtain that caught fire... and even a pile of sawdust...


All that remains are these 23 columns...


(my photo)

Get out and learn the history of your area... there is so much to learn... so much to see...


~shoes~

28 comments:

  1. We have a downtown self-guided walking tour of our historic area. It's one of my favorite things to do when people come to visit. We call it "The Pioneer Trail."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey you... I love tours like that!!

      So much to learn... and we should know our history!!

      I hope all has been well with you...

      ~shoes~

      Delete
  2. I agree! Where I live it was considered 'cowboy town'... We have trails where u can still find arrowheads, trails that were used back in the day.. Our coastline hwy is lined w/mission bells depicting the trail of the various missions which include the route that the missionaries traveled...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, Chris...

      I would LOVE to live in a place where I could go and find arrow heads and maybe pottery shards from centuries past...

      I love history...

      ~shoes~

      Delete
  3. Beautiful. Interesting. U r so right get out and see ur History of where u live. I do this as much as possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, Stormy...

      There is much history in Memphis... I love going through Elmwood...

      ~shoes~

      Delete
  4. Fascinating. I knew nothing about this ruin but you brought it to life wonderfully.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. It is hard to believe that the house was so amazing (and costly) and all that is left are sketches that come close to resembling the original. Those columns are amazing and the sketches indicate that the house would have been something to see. It's a shame that it is gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, Robin...

      It IS amazing... There are equally fabulous homes similar to this down in Natchez, MS...

      Nothing lasts forever...

      Nothing...

      ~shoes~

      Delete
  6. That was a beautiful post. And beautiful pictures.


    So when you say "the War", you mean the Civil War, right?


    stephanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, Stephanie... good morning...

      Thank you so much... there is so much history... and I was amazed to realize how much history there is in your part of the world... it wasn't really until I visited Europe a few years ago that I realized what was meant by the 'New World'... civilization here was just getting started, so it seems, when already fabulous things were being done there...

      Yes, when I mentioned 'the war' I meant the American Civil War... I should have been clear about that... and I wasn't....

      How are you??

      ~shoes~

      Delete
  7. Beautiful photos .... wish someone would donate stairs like that to my old house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, Ella.... aren't those great!

      Of course, if someone donated those kinds of stairs to me, i would have to build a second floor... ;o)

      I hope all is well with you...

      ~shoes~

      Delete
  8. Makes you wonder what it was like to live during that time. Don't you wish there was video footage of people doing the day to day? Entertaining, doing business.. all makes me wish I could go back in time. I am sure it would make me appreciate life today that much more.
    Very cool post Shoes !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning... I would imagine that by today's standards, Life would have been SO hard... It was all a progression, if you will..

      I do love history... and realize more and more everyday, that history and information is VERY dumbed down to sound bites and twitter messages... people aren't smart enough to want to know the Truth any longer...

      They accept what they are fed.

      ~shoes~

      Delete
  9. Good photo, shoes :) And I like the drawing by Henry Otis Dwight. Thank you for my morning history lesson, Sir :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, Ms Jules... You are most welcome!!

      Yes, the soldier must have been moved by what he saw... to the point where he felt the need/desire to draw it...

      Of course, today, we use our phones... ;o)

      ~shoes~

      Delete
  10. Interesting story, Shoes. Here I am, talking about my moaning neighbors whn you've taken the time to teach me something. I'm very much interested in the history of buildings.... who built it..... why...... what happened to it..... That kind of thing. I know that the house I live in will still be here when I'm dead and gone. I also know there trees outside where here when I was born and they too will outlive me. They are history, but in a diferent way than I will be - if you know what I mean. You've been missed, buddy. Hope you're doing alright. Yesterday I gave my first three hour lecture after having been nearly blind for months. I guess I still got it. How about that? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, Grumpster... what I am really doing is coping with the loss of a good friend... and it came out as a history post... of course it's something I like anyway... but...

      I am coming to more and more understand the words of the Native Americans... who believed... truly believed... that they just borrowed the land... the resources... and they were to leave it in decent shape for the next generation... it appears we have ALL forgotten that message...

      How did your lecture go???

      I've been absent from blogging... I will be by soon to catch up with you!

      ~shoes~

      Delete
    2. I know. I've read your post. And I'm really sorry, you know that. As for the Native Americans, I couldn't agree more. We sure have forgotten a whole lot a things, Shoes. My lecture went great. Guess I even surprised myself. My voice was pretty much intact. No need to apologise, really. Just do your thing.

      Delete
  11. wow Red the ruins are so beautiful. I love those pillars...so imposing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, Ana... thank you...

      They are breathtaking... amazing to see... to stand by... to try to take in the grandeur of what that house must have been at that time...

      To walk on that same ground... and just be separated from all of that activity only by 'Time' is amazing...

      ~shoes~

      Delete
  12. I love reading your posts. You always "school" me on something that I had no idea about. -Hope all is well with you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, sunshine... things are better today... we had the memorial service for Scooter yesterday... that is behind us... behind me... things are better...

      How are YOU?!?!

      ~shoes~

      Delete
  13. They should never destroy any structure intentionally in any war. It is done to demoralize the enemy, but usually serves only to generate hatred. War is an absurd method of resolving human disagreements.

    I often travel through the USA in search of historical sites, not necessarily official ones. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey you... I like your comment about "not necessarily office ones (historical sites)... they are often VERY interesting!!

      How is St. Augustine today??

      ~shoes~

      Delete
  14. Just thinking about my friend Shoes.

    ReplyDelete