Music...
Mississippi is rife with great music... always has been... Elvis... Muddy Waters... Howlin' Wolf... and shitloads more that just can't come to mind right at this moment...
There was a fellow who was very prominent in the 'Mississippi Hill Music' genre by the name of Jim Dickinson. He had the reputation of being a musical genius... furthermore, he is well known now for being the father of Luther and Cody Dickinson, two-thirds of a band known as 'The North Mississippi All-Stars'...
The North Mississippi All-Stars at a wedding reception
in 1999 at Gunnison, MS...
These two fellow grew up in a music laden environment, and just couldn't help picking up great musical skills from their Dad.
Boy Shoes recently picked up yet another DUI... and I know he didn't get that from me... *sighs* I felt it necessary to go visit with him... and scream, bitch, yell and throttle counsel him on his fuck ups mistakes.
I happened to be able to arrange this visit to line up with 'The North Mississippi All-Stars' performance at Proud Larry's... a popular Oxford, MS restaurant and music hall.
The stage... pre-show...
In the event you aren't familiar with this band, I've included a couple of my favorite NMA songs... and as always... turn it up loud... very loud... really loud...
Rollin' N Ramblin'...
One of the primary characteristics of North Mississippi Hill music is that it's dominated by precussion...
This is another one of my favorite NMA songs... it's an old Furry Lewis song... if you are familiar with Furry Lewis... if you fast-forward to the 1:30 mark, you will catch the beginning of the live performance of this song that just kicks ass!!!!
KC Jones...
Luther made it all look insanely easy...
I'm always ready to sell my gear after seeing
a show like this... AUGH!!!
If you get a chance to ever hear and see this band, DO so!!! They are SO worth it!!
~shoes~






jim cantore? holy shit! you'd better be tucked under the covers cuddling a bottle of booze or.....out there with jim, dressed like a brave weatherman.
ReplyDeleteHey you... the weather system wound up moving North of where I am. No severe weather here...
DeleteHowever, a bottle of booze... hmmm.
~shoes~
Half of Blind Melon were from West Point, MS!
ReplyDeleteIke Turner was from Mississippi along with about half of the significant blues musicians of all time.
This reinforces a thought I have on a Duet/co-post for us if you are up for it.
Yes, Half of Blind Melon WAS from West Point! My daughter knew they before they found their fifteen minutes...
DeleteA co-post? Why not!!??
Let me know what you have in mind!
~shoes~
Thanks for the links, I'll look for a chance to check out NMA!
ReplyDeleteHi there, Max!! I thought of you when I saw this show... He told me that he has an old Epiphone Casino, but he doesn't use it on stage. He said it being a true hollow body guitar, that he couldn't contain the feedback...
Delete~shoes~
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHey you... why did you take your comment down?
DeleteI know about the NMA show in Memphis on May 23rd...
I have never seen a show there. I know Elvis performed there back in the day, as I think did The Gentrys and possibly The BoxTops. What a great place to see a live performance!
~shoes~
Sounds like a basketball team...!
ReplyDeleteHA!!! I told a colleague at work that I was going to see them and that's exactly what he said!!!
Delete~shoes~
If I ever make to Mississippi, you better be ready to take me to as many gigs as we can fit in! I'll be in heaven :-)
ReplyDeleteHey you... it's Juke Joint Fest Weekend in Clarksdale, MS today. I'm not sure I will make any of it, but there will be some great music going on today and tonight in Clarksdale!!
DeleteHow is everything with you?? OK??
~shoes~
Sorry to hear that Boy Shoes is having so much trouble pulling it together. I know that hurts your heart.
ReplyDeleteGood morning, Robin...
DeleteIt does hurt my heart. He's too old to be pulling these stunts. He needs to be positioning himself for mid-life and what he wants to get out of Life. I've told him that he can't escape getting older. It's a bitch when one isn't prepared/ready for it.
How are things in your part of the world today, Robin??
~shoes~
I always enjoy reading your music posts!
ReplyDeletePS. Hope Boy Shoes is doing okay.
Hi there, Princess...
DeleteGood morning.
I'm glad you enjoy my music posts! I SO love music!!
I hope Boy Shoes grows up soon... *sighs*
~shoes~
oh my, that wedding is just priceless ;-)
ReplyDeleteGood morning, Ana!
DeleteI didn't make that wedding, but I knew the family who hosted that event! It was quite an event!!
:oD
~shoes~
Just looks authentic and a whole lot of fun ;-)
Delete~shoes~ love the dog, the woman got a few cool moves too... yeah I can see where ya coming from...
ReplyDeleteIndi
Hi there, Indi!!
DeleteHow are you doing?? :oD
~shoes~
Ain't nothing like a good show, Shoes. #Don't stop the music....#
ReplyDeleteI do like this north Mississippi music. Provokes dancing.
ReplyDeleteLinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn... these guys are among the best... the music is deeply entrenched in their DNA, and they grew up all around it!
DeleteIt's impossible to sit still while they are playing!!!
~shoes~