... of a hole.
Man, what a semester... what a school year this has been... I had times where I didn't think it was going to end, or that I just wasn't going to survive it.
This 'hole' seems to have coincided with the illness of my oldest sister back in August... I wrote about it... and then just a freight train of on-going events. My sister is somewhat stable, and now my oldest brother is dealing with total kidney failure.
I have had on-going issues with my children... I know some parents are able to separate from their children at some point, but I think I am a great deal like my Mom... they will always be my kids, regardless of how old they are...
Some of the messes in which they find themselves... Holy Cow...
But...
exams are graded...
grades have been turned in to the Registrar's Office...
Phone calls and email about grades that I "gave" them are subsiding...
Commencement was Saturday.
I think I mentioned somewhere that I had been nominated for the outstanding professor award here at Alluvial Flood Plain State University... I wasn't hopeful about receiving it... someone from the College of Business received it last year. Seldom do back-to-back recipients come from the same school. Besides, there are many people who get up and come to work everyday and really put forth great effort for their students.
I've been thinking about some musicians with whom I am familiar... and for some reason, they are from Memphis... Memphis has always been a great hotbed of music...
One of the musicians is a fellow by the name of John Kilzer... he played basketball ball, I believe, for Memphis State University... he recorded several albums and had a great Memphis following... Music has to be a most difficult career in which to succeed.
I found one of his songs that I really like on YouTube....
'Memory In The Making'
I used to know the name of the guitarist that played on this album for John, but his name escapes me... much like Nashville, there are great musicians in Memphis. I've seen John around in Memphis over the past few years... a really nice fellow... I think he is a minister of music today.
My favorite 'unknown' Memphis musician, however, is a fellow by the name of Rob Jungklas... he was a contemporary of John's, I believe.
I finally found my favorite Rob Jungklas song on YouTube...
If you have a good sound card and great speakers on your computer, turn 'em up...
'Memphis Thing'
Augh!!! What a GREAT song!!!!
A few years ago, there was an article about Rob in a Memphis newspaper... it seems that he was on the cusp of having a musical breakthrough... and hadn't been married long. He spoke of how difficult the life of a professional musician was on a marriage... he chose the marriage over the music career, and last I heard, he's a school teacher in Memphis... How cool...
Well, next on the agenda for Shoes is the trip to Germany and The Netherlands... now I worry about whether I will do a good job and represent myself and Alluvial Flood Plain State in a positive manner...
Mom always said I worried too much...
... and I was awarded the outstanding professor award at Commence on Saturday... I'm still in shock...
All in all, this has become a very good semester...
~shoes~


Awesome! Congratulations! :-)
ReplyDeleteHi, Max... thank you so much!!
Delete~shoes~
Congratulations. And what the hell, do your best to represent, but jesus... you're traveling! So many of us can't... or wouldn't unless dragged, protesting, under the influence of a myriad of tranquilizers.
ReplyDelete:)
Have a nice time.
Hi, Ami... thank you so much... Yeah, I worry about not doing well in situations... I'm not sure where that came from, but all in all, it seems to ensure that I do what I expect of me...
ReplyDeleteI probably fall into the category of "wouldn't" travel, but... it is an opportunity!
~shoes~
Oh yes!!! Memphis thing is awesome! A friend of mine would call this kind of music "Fat and Dirty" and that's just the way I like it. So, I've adopted the phrase and retitled my playlist. You're Prof of the year in my book Shoes!
ReplyDeleteHey you... 'Memphis Thing' IS awesome!! 'Fat and dirty?' You bet!!
DeleteThank you, Annie! I appreciate your vote of confidence!!
:o)
~shoes~
Congrats! Andasforkids? It's never ending!
ReplyDeleteHey you... you are right about the kids... that's for sure.
Delete~shoes~
Congratulations Shoes...That is outstanding! So excited. Can you go on your trip incognito so you can let your hair down a bit? haha. Our kids will always be our kids. How can you stop worrying about them? Just don't tell my mother I said that! Great post.
ReplyDeleteHi there, Babs... incognito? To an extent... in some places...
DeleteI've promised not to tell any 'Hitler' jokes while in Germany... ;o)
Thank you so much for your kind words!
~shoes~
I'm turning my speakers up!!!
ReplyDeleteThanks!!
DeleteI hope you liked them!!
~shoes~
Congratulations on the well-deserved award, as well as the end of a trying school year!
ReplyDeleteWe're pleased about your sister stabilizing; we're sorry to hear about your brother. Thanks for sharing the song.
Hi, Jack & Jill...
DeleteRe: family issues, that's just Life...
The teaching award? I'm still excited... and I head for Europe this week for the teaching experience.
I can't wait!!
~shoes~
Congratulations my friend. Well deserved!
ReplyDeleteAh, the ongoing kids issue. I send lots of sympathy. It's still going on here too!
Hi there, Leah!!
DeleteThank you, sweetie... I am SO honored!!
I head to Europe this week... I am SO excited!!!
I hope all is well with you!
~shoes~
I am sooooooooooooooooooooooo crazy proud of you! Your award is MUCH deserved. You are awesome and fantastic and all things amazing...
ReplyDeleteand you're some other things too. ;-D
Kids? *sigh*
mine is already talking about moving out NEXT YEAR after graduation... I stop breathing for a minute and go in to a slight state of insane panic. I will proll'y worry myself in to a mental hospital by the 2nd month he isn't living with me anymore.
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!
xoxoxo
gobbles
Nothing to add to that, Shoes. Except to say, yeah, there are and were some great performers in Memphis.
DeleteMake sure you go to Unit C and not Unit B Robylen- trust me!
Delete@ Gobbles, thank you... :o) I'm SO fortunate... the teaching award AND the trip overseas... :o)
DeleteAs i've told you, I'm half-way excited, and half-way nervous about the trip. But, it will be fine, I am sure...
As for kids? My advise is to fasten your seat belt... that is one long-assed ride.
I think that Bathwater is speaking from experience!
@ RCB, Yes, Memphis has had their share!!
~shoes
Well isn't nice to get recognized. Congratulations.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations Red! Awesome!
ReplyDeleteRE: "hey will always be my kids, regardless of how old they are.."
-What a truly, loving quality you have.
LOTS of reason to celebrate! Congratshoelations~ I'm proud to know/read you! when do you leave? how long will you be gone?
ReplyDeleteI know you deserve it. Godspeed Shoes.
ReplyDeleteAll in all... a very interesting series of events happened on this first weekend of May...
ReplyDelete:o/
~shoes~