Sunday, January 29, 2012

"Brother and Sister..."



Brother & Sister...


The Allman Brothers Band has always been one of my favorite bands... They are Southern and they are Blues... two good attributes, if you ask me...


This is one my favorite ABB songs... at least at this point in time... that could change in 10 minutes... This is an acoustic version that just captures my soul everytime I listen to it...

The story goes that Duane and Gregg Allman, and Dickey Betts would spend time writing in an old cemetery named Rose Hill, in Macon, GA, and it was close to a headstone that had inscripted on it, "In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed Napier."  Anyway, something moved Dickey Betts to write this song. An interesting side note to this story is that Duane Allman and Berry Oakley are buried near Elizabeth.


Anyhoo, this is about a different brother and sister...


Somewhere along the way, I became interested in my family tree... my Dad had a sister that did this some years ago, and stopped when she learned we were directly descended from Jean Lafitte, the pirate of New Orleans...


For some reason, there is one link that has been easier to trace than any of the others... it's almost as if I have been led down this path.  I found a fellow who died in 1853 who I suspected to be my great, great grandfather... and later confirmed when I found some documents in some stuff that my sister stole got when Dad died.


I've found a couple of photos that I was so pleased to get...
William F. Hoskins was a member of the 87th Illinois Infantry in the Civil War, and participated in several battles including the Siege of Vicksburg.  


I also found this photograph...
The couple seated in the front are my Great Grand Parents, Coles...  Her name is Rebecca Hoskins Coles... she is the sister to William F. Hoskins in the first photo.  The third person from the left standing behind them...is my Grand Mother Brown. I have written about her many times.  Every time I find a new photo of her, I am startled by it... As I have said before, there is some connection between her and myself that I just can't explain.  I've written about her HERE   
and HERE.  


I've traced my family back to the early 1500's and to countries such as France, Wales, England, and The Netherlands.  This has been so therapeutic for me.


I continue to go to funerals of friends... the most recent, yesterday.  I continue to worry about the mess that my daughter seems to be slipping into, only deeper and deeper... *sighs*


I've quit writing in detail about the things that bother me so... they must be so tiring to read...


I would love to hear some of your stories about your family trees...


~Shoes~

10 comments:

  1. Your stories are not at all tiring to read. In fact, I worry when you don't write... sigh. Did you get my HERE'S TO YOU video for you on Monday? It was last week I think.... time is creeping away from me again....

    ReplyDelete
  2. My family tree is more of a twig. Don't know much at all. Could be a good thing, I dunno.

    Sending you some good thoughts and positive energy. May your daughter find a new path soon. Know that there are people out here in cyberspace that care about you and wish you only the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uhmmm.... you are never tiring.

    My family tree, despite what some may think, does not go straight up as a normal rednecks does.
    ;-D

    I'm a mutt. A mutt from Ireland, Germany but most of all - England. Somewhere on my Dad's side and way back I'm related to a king from England. (Just call me Princess Gobbles please.) Oh, and there's a church pew in a GORGEOUS old church that I want to go to that has my family crest on it... 3rd one back. In England.

    I like being a mutt. I like the fact that you are related to a Pirate too... I find that intriguing and... it makes sense. :)

    My thoughts and love are always with you.

    xoxoxo
    Princess Gobbles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your blogs and never get tired of reading. Silly!

    Your tree is certainly more interesting than mine. The only thing fairly interesting is that my mothers maternal grandmother and her paternal grandmother were sisters! Which means her parents were 1st cousins. Ewwwww, that freaks me out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have any good family tree stories, I look to the present and tend to ignore the past and future lately. I am sorry to hear your daughter is still going through the issues she is facing. I know how it is, I am hoping tomorrow is the start of a new time for Billy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree your stories are not tiring at all. You blog for yourself and not for others, right? When I blog/write I find it somewhat therapeutic and helpful. Just hang in there, okay?

    P.S. Very cool family tree!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your posts are not tiring in the least! And if they were, you wouldn't have so many readers and commenters!

    I'm directly descended from Jim Bowie, of Bowie Knife fame, which should sum up my family nicely, in that we are good at one thing and one thing only, which is making weapons. I don't know if I'm proud to be related to him or not, but there you have it. Oh, and the actress Tara Reid is related to me through marriage somehow.

    Please don't tell a single living soul. That one I am DEFINITELY embarrassed about.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, Shoes, first of all thinking about your heritage is a good thing. It can be so peaceful just looking at those old pictures. It reminds me of two things: Elvis singing 'Memories' (pressed between the pages of my mind' and a scene in 'Dead Poets Society' where a bunch of teens are looking at pictures of people long gone. It's hard to imagine people looking at our pictures one day, wondering who that is smiling to them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. While researching my family, I found my great-great grandfather was at Appomattox Court House during the surrender, I have Cherokee blood in my family, and some of my family owned plantations, invented machines, and fished for oysters. This was just my Dad's family alone. My Mom's is next. Her parents, my grandparents, came to America from Italy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The heritage subject is so fascinating, and I've noticed that you and most of your commenters have very diverse lines. I'd be fascinated to know where in England their roots lie.

    I can't lay claim to anything half so interesting. On one side I come from a family of coal miners originating in Wales, and on the other side salvage merchants, all with local roots.

    ReplyDelete