Monday, May 16, 2011

' When The Levee Breaks...'



'If it keeps on rainin', levee's goin' to break...
If it keeps on rainin', levee's goin' to break...
When The Levee Breaks I'll have no place to stay. '


The Great Mississippi River Flood of 1927 caused a great upheaval... and, par for the course, many songs were written about it... the most notable is the song that Led Zeppelin covered back in 1971... this song was actually written and first recorded in 1929 by Kansas Joe McCoy, and his wife, Memphis Minnie (pictured below)... Led Zeppelin later had to acknowledge that they had ripped off many lyrics from old bluesmen, but I digress...

'Cryin' won't help you, prayin' won't do you no good, 
Now, cryin' won't help you, prayin' won't do you no good,
When the levee breaks, mama, you got to move.'

I live in the Mississippi Delta... and the Mississippi River is just about 18 miles over that~a~way (points West that~a~way).  My GrandDad was living here back in 1927 when the levee broke... 



Since I came along late in my parents' lives, my GrandDad was long gone, but Dad would tell me stories about "The Flood of '27."

'All last night sat on the levee and moaned...
All last night sat on the levee and moaned...
Thinkin' about me baby and my happy home. '
'Lake Village, AR'


'Bird Song Camp'
'Cleveland, MS'

'Greenville, MS'

Dad told me when I was younger, that inmates from Parchman Prison Farm were used to shore up the levee in suspected weak spots... and that a few were known to have died while the work was being performed... and that they were buried inside of the levee... I wonder...

'Leland, MS'

I had been of the opinion that if the levees were to give, that I would still be safe... but given that Leland is about 30 miles due south of here, I may need to rethink that idea... of course, where the water from such a flood goes is a function of where the levee breaches... in that regard, Cleveland was lucky.

'The River Wall at Vicksburg, MS...'
Contrast the water level on the left with the lumber stacked on the right...

'Scott, MS'

I remember, as a child, that when I would go places with my Dad, he was always generous with his money when he would pass someone collecting for the Salvation Army, but he would never give to The American Red Cross... I eventually asked Dad about this practice, and his response was that Grand Dad suffered great losses during the flood, and that the Red Cross wouldn't assist him, but that the Salvation Army did... Dad never forgot, and Dad paid much more over the years than I am sure that the Salvation Army gave Grand Dad in terms of support.


This photo is of the I-40 Bridge in Memphis, TN.  The 'normal' lay of the Mississippi River is between the arches of the bridge. On average, the Mississippi River is 1/2 miles wide at this point.  The Corp of Engineers estimate the width of the River now to be almost 3 miles wide.


The Mississippi River has been so romanticized by history and writers... When Dad would take us over to the river on Sunday drives, I would always imagine that I could see Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer out on a raft...  I can so understand why so many are taken by it... It is something to behold...


But I do worry about so many who have lost so much... and those who have this damage coming their way...

~shoes~

Post Script:  Wine and Words asked about whether there was any recording of Memphis Minnie and Kansas Joe McCoy's original version of 'When The Levee Breaks'...  Look what I found...


~shoes~

27 comments:

  1. I saw a woman being interviewed on television this morning. Her home is in the area that will flood. It was heartbreaking to watch. Things like this make me feel helpless. Hope you and yours will be okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Nitebyrd... Hey you. It is rather helpless. I saw that same interview, I believe... This one woman stated something along the lines of, 'well, that's what we get for living in a swamp...'

    People do make some decisions that have potential pitfalls associated with them. Since this is an action taken by the government, they won't have insurance worries; of course, Federal bureaucracy tends to move at a snail's pace at times...

    The opening of the spillways in Louisiana is all designed to save possible flooding in Baton Rouge and New Orleans...

    I guess I wonder why the gates weren't opened before now... to alleviate the flooding that has already occurred.

    ~shoes~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scary. The sky opened up here yesterday, just ripped a seam and dumped the contents of planetary oceans. The duration was short, but it made me consider.

    I like that song! Is there a recording of the Kansas Joe McCoy version on the interenet somewhere? Would be interested to hear!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, man, this flooding has made me nervous for the homeland. the spillway opening should keep baton rouge and those folks intact, but then there are the people in the path of the spillway... and those without the spillway as an option... sigh.

    i've been listening to "louisiana 1927" a lot lately. right before all of this started, i started reading "rising tide" again. sigh again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel so helpless when I see these pictures and hear the sad stories of flood and tornado disasters. To see it on TV or pictures is one thing but I cannot imagine what you must see with the naked eye right in your own back yard. I wish you the best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Wine and Words... Hi there, Annie... The National Weather Service is saying that we should expect a great deal of rain this coming weekend. That won't bode well for the water run-off...

    I DID find a copy of Memphis Minnie and Kansas Joe's song... :oD Thank YOU!

    @ Magnolia... My daughter keeps asking me if I have evacuation plans...Hell, she's the one that lives in NOLA... I keep asking her if SHE has plans!!!

    The news out of Jackson, MS, is that the reading on the Mississippi @ Vicksburg now exceeds the '27 flood.

    @ Bouncin'... as long as the levee holds, we are secure... But there are many who don't have the same feelings of security that we have here... Thank you for your concerns...

    ~shoes~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kansas Joe moves me... I'm always amazed because I never know which will reach out and grab me by the throat...the original or a cover. Thanks Shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, Shoes!!!

    Just wanted to take a minute and come by to say "hi" and let you know I'm okay.

    Thanks for checking on me! :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yep. Zep DID steal a hell of alot, but they did it WELL.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been over here a few times to listen to the music ;-D
    and each time the birdsong camp photo just sucker punches me in the chest.

    It's amazing how something as beautiful as the Mississippi river can wreak such havoc and cause such devastation...

    I have somewhere you can evacuate to.

    xoxoxoxoxo
    gobbles

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What has caused the MIssissippi to swell so? Too much rain?

    Where did you get those old pics? Fascinating!

    What sexual desires is Dawn talking about?

    Just wondering...

    Oh, are there alligators in the Mississippi? Cuz that could be a whole 'nother problem.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Miss Stormy Dawn: I am a little offended that you that think Red Shoes hasn't met a woman who fills his emotional and physical needs. He has met me! What else would he need?

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great song...but I guess born from tragedy? :\ Intriguing posts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Holy Fuck!

    I write a post about the Mississippi River Flood of 1927 and a song... go away... and look at some of these comments...

    *sighs*

    Maybe it's just time to go away...

    ~shoes~

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  20. @ Wine and Words... I found a host of many other songs by Mississippi Minnie and Kansas Joe. They were unbelievable!

    @ Nancy... hey you. I've just been wondering how you are doing. Are things about to calm down for you now? Are things getting better??

    @ Heff... yes, they did. They did it very well. I was amazed at how much of Willie Dixon's material they 'borrowed'... ;o)

    @ Red.Neck... There is another photo of the 'Bird Song Camp' that I will post. I am guessing that those people were Black sharecroppers that obviously had no place to go. So MANY people back then were 'displaced' (as we like to say today). My oldest sister said that Dad told her about how people were setting up tents on the railroads... there is a photo of some people atop a railroad bed... they are elevated here in the Delta in the event of flooding, so that train traffic might not be impeded.

    @ Dawn... if you do live and work in Downtown Memphis, then you know that only those low-lying areas nearest the river are affected... also the area there where the Wolf River empties into the Mississippi.

    @ Uber... If I had your email address, I would have answered your questions directly. Here goes...

    (01) Primarily the heavy snow and rains. All melting snow and rain east of the Continental Divide to the Mississippi River... eventually flows into the Mississippi.

    (02) I found those in a State of Mississippi Archieve... you can find them here -> http://mdah.state.ms.us/arrec/digital_archives/1927flood/index.php?action=browse I wish my Dad were still alive so I could ask him about these.

    (03) Just some stuff that I posted some time ago... my blog has been rather bland lately... no?

    (04) I would imagine that there are some in the calmer parts of the river... they are all over the oxbow lakes around here. An oxbow lake is old river bed left from when the Mississippi changed it course. It does that often... and I imagine that as this water recedes, there will be new channels in some places...

    @ Goddess... yes, a great deal of the American Blues music does come from tragedy. The flood of 1927 caused many farmers to go out of business... and, in part, caused some of the exodus of Blacks from the South to Chicago and other points North...

    As for some of that other, I really have no idea what to make of those posts...

    Oh well...

    ~shoes~

    ReplyDelete
  21. Really great post.

    RE: Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer out on a raft
    What a lovely memory to have. It must bring up and stir so many different emotions.

    P.S. I'm curious as to why The Red Cross refused to help up your dad?

    ReplyDelete
  22. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  23. LOL I didn't mean to start something[but I think it is delicious that I did] :)

    Damn, I was hoping that Red Shoes had some kink I was going to be enlightened about.

    Thanks for the answers Red Shoes.

    PS My email addy is on my blog.[let's make the jealous girl even more jealous] haha

    ReplyDelete
  24. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I know what you mean.....drama and bitches follow my every step. :)

    It's a compliment ,really. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. @ Cocaine Princess... Dad used to take us to the levee and the levee was dry... no, wait... that's another song. Anyway, we would ride over to the river and just watch the river flow. There is something greatly romantic about the Mississippi... I don't know why the Red Cross didn't help... I wish I could ask Dad and find out the rest of that story. Sometimes when we are younger, we don't think about the details...

    @ Dawn, having been built up on the Bluffs, Memphis Proper just doesn't flood. Were you living there a few years ago when Hurricane Elvis hit?

    @ Ubermouth... LMAO...

    ~shoes~

    ReplyDelete