Saturday, October 9, 2010

"You Say It's Your Birthday..."

It just seems that it was yesterday that The BeaTles hit America and played three consecutive weekends on the Ed Sullivan Show...  this was in February, 1964, just months after the assassination of John F. Kennedy... our country needed a distraction...




As the band developed stylistically, it became easier to tell which 'Lennon-McCartney' compositions were McCartney's and which ones belonged to John... His seemed to have more of an edge to them...




It's been said that The BeaTles changed styles musically  when they released "Rubber Soul"... and that may be true... but one could see that change coming when they recorded this Lennon masterpiece...





Another great Lennon composition that comes to mind is 'Revolution'... but not in the way it was recorded for the single...  Lennon preferred this version, and it made it on 'The White Album...'





The song that most easily comes to mind when I think of Lennon compositions is this one...





In 1980, John  recorded and released a new album, "Double Fantasy"... and my favorite song from that effort was "Starting Over..."





In so many ways, he was starting over... he said he was ready to move into the next phase of his Life...


It was hard to believe that he was murdered in December, 1980... and that if he were alive today, he would have turned 70...




What is the impact that John Lennon and the rest of The BeaTles had on music???






...that 30 years after his death... almost 40 years after the break up of one of the greatest rock and roll bands ever, that their music is still played on the radio today... and it still sounds relevant.


...that on the 70th birthday of one of the founding members of a band that broke up in late 1969 / early 1970, YouTube and Google both included a cartoon likeness of him on their webpage logos.





Thank you for all of your wonderful music... It just wouldn't have been the same without you...


Happy Birthday, John...


~shoes~

3 comments:

  1. When I listen to "Revolution" I remember that was an effort to coalesce us into a movement to make the world better and reject the cold war and Vietnam. The theme is relevant today with all the corporations buying our votes with hate ads and wars of aggression. Chairman Mao may be gone and China owns our debt!

    I liked it better when we were hopeful and looking forward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't even know what to say. The Beatles broke up when I was a year old. I remember when John Lennon was killed. That was tragic. The fact that young people today still listen to The Beatles, Wings, John Lennon, and Paul McCartney speaks volumes about them as singers and writers. The fact that Paul and John moved in different direction artistically doesn't make either of them less, in my opinion. I just wish John Lennon's light had gotten to shine longer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Charlene... I am with YOU one that one about being hopeful and looking forward!!! The relationship we have with China today isn't good for us politically or economically!!!

    @ Robin... me too... I think John was on a new direction musically when he was killed. Who knows where he would have gone... it would have been interesting to know that!

    ~shoes~

    ReplyDelete