You can see clearer version of this video HERE...
Supposedly, the group was the brainstorm of Jeff Lynne (Electric Light Orchestra), and he was able to bring together George Harrison, Tom Petty, Bob Dylan, Roy Orbison, and Jim Keltner, an outrageously great drummer that doesn't get the accolades he deserves (in my opinion). I wonder why Keltner didn't merit a childhood photo in the video?
What great talent!
What a great meshing of voices!!
Look at ALL of those Gretsch guitars!!
Another one of their songs that I really enjoy playing and listening to is 'End Of The Line.' The video isn't available for embedding but you can watch it HERE...
It's hard to believe that Roy Orbison and George Harrison are both gone... There is a rather poignant point in this video when Roy Orbison's vocal is played... and the focus in on an empty rocking chair in which his guitar is cradled... he had died by the time this video was made...
Maybe somewhere down the road aways...
You'll think of me, and wonder where I am these days...
_____________
~shoes~





Orbison was a freaking giant...and Lynne is gifted with the the Midas touch baby.
ReplyDelete"Every time I look into your lovely eyes,
I see a love that money just can't buy.
One look from you, I drift away.
I pray that you are here to stay.
Anything you want, you got it.
Anything you need, you got it.
Anything at all, you got it.
Baby!"
xx
Bob Dylan is playing at The Buffalo Chip During BIKE-WEEK is STURGIS this August.
ReplyDeleteWell, I like Tom Petty...and Gretsch guitars.
ReplyDeletei love that song. my dad loved the traveling wilburys - i listed to them all the time growing up.
ReplyDelete@ Spring Flower... Roy Orbison.. I KNOW!! Thank God he had the voice he did... and Jeff Lynne is definitely brilliant!! Hope you had a great weekend!!!
ReplyDelete@ Kurt.. he is? What a blast that will be! Are you planning on attending??
@ Heff... I do too.. the Gretsch bass I have placed on the sidebar was the first guitar I ever bought... and if I can't get the Rickenbacker 12-string, I would settle for a Gretsch White Falcon... ;o)
Jaime... they were a great super-group... another one of my favorite super-groups was 'Little Village'... which consisted of John Hiatt, Ry Cooder, Nick Lowe, and, of course, Jim Keltner (again)... for a one-album project, they were awesome!!!!
~shoes~
I am just too young or ignorant to not know that Tom Petty wasn't the only great to come from the Travelling Wilbury's?? ;)
ReplyDeleteHuge Tom Petty fan, in fact, I just went to his concert June 15. Great great show. Still sounds fantastic :)
Krippled Warrior - See you in Sturgis!!!
ReplyDelete(well most likely not because there will be 1/2 million people there, but have a great time anyway)
@ Stacy... How was the June 15th show? I am hearing great things about his current tour... I am a HUGE fan of his... as well as that of Mike Campbell, his buddy and guitar player in The Heartbreakers... Mike is the best 'unknown' guitarist I'v ever seen/heard!!!
ReplyDeleteYOu are going to Stugis as well?? Dayum!! You and Kurt there at the same time may be just TOO much!!!
~shoes~