Have you ever been up a creek without a paddle?
Have you ever been up Shit Creek??
Have you ever been up Shit Creek without a paddle???
The Band had a song called "Up On Cripple Creek"
Someone obviously saw this problem coming and built a business around it...
Necessity is the Mother of Invention...
So they say...
__________________
We have this young man that works in our division at Alluvial Flood Plain State University... he is a graduate assistant... and he has asked me two questions in the last week that cause me to wonder how in the HELL he was accepted into the MBA program...
To be enrolled in the classes he is taking this semester, he needed to have a grade of 'B' or better in two undergrad classes: Accounting Principles and Principles of Finance.
I can't really point any fingers at anyone here...
I've done this before...
The first question he asked had to do with an assignment... it was on financial reports analysis... and he was totally lost as to which financial statement would give him information regarding "all of our sales"... I asked, "you mean 'total revenue?' "
"Uhhhh... I'm not sure....," he replied... and then threw out "balance sheet?" as an answer... trying, I guess, to aid in helping me not assume he was a total dumbass...
"nope... it's the 'Income Statement' "....
"I don't have one of those for this problem..." he said...
To make a long story short... he did have one... I pointed it out to him...
And then Thursday, he is confused about a question having to do with bonds... financial debt instruments... He said he had a question about a bond with a 12% coupon... but the bond was only paying $60 a period... and he was lost at having to determine the par value of said bond...
I looked at his problem and told him that the bond was paying $120 annually in interest... he asked my how I knew that... and I replied, "the problem told me so..." The bond paid its interest semi-annually... so I showed him how to work the problem so he could determine what the par value (issue value) of the bond was... and he was just blown away...
Man, did I EVER love 'The Far Side'
This is sophomore and junior level business course information...
I don't get it.. I just don't get it...
But I was nice...
I didn't tell him that I thought he was a dumbass...
I guess I am on the way to becoming the kinder, gentler me... who only thinks these things now to himself...
~shoes~




we can't all be finance gurus like you, shoes.
ReplyDeleteYou are so nice.
ReplyDelete1+1=3, right?
:)
That first question was high school level as far as I'm concerned.
ReplyDelete@ Jaime... Ah aint no financial expert... :oD
ReplyDelete@ Spring Flower... I'm trying to be nicer... :oD Is it working????
@ Catch Her... yeah... I was just trying to give him the benefit of the doubt... I don't see how he got in the program...
~shoes~
Yeah, but while you were thinking the guy was a dumbass, while speaking kindly and trying not to treat him like one, did you have a look on your face which made him feel like a dumbass?
ReplyDeleteEvery emotion I feel is on my face. I could never hide it even if I didn't tell someone they were a dumbass.
Me thinks I need poker face lessons.
People with high positions in life are not always smart. And many students don't know what they are talking about, even after graduation.
ReplyDeleteSecretia
@ Shelly... I tried to mask my "you are such a dumbass" look... but didn't try to hold back my "you should know this" look... I guess there's a fine line there... you know? There IS a message that needs to be conveyed...
ReplyDelete@ Secretia... you are right... and it's supported by 'The Peter Principle'... but they should... I tell my students that I am trying to give them enough information so that they won't feel too lost when starting a new job... and that when they do find employment, that their education is really just beginning...
~shoes~
I have taken accounting and finance classes for my business major. I did well in finance, but for some reason accounting really kicked my ass. I just really, really suck at accounting. I almost feel bad for that guy because I've been there and then felt horrible for knowing that the teacher surely thought I was a dumbass.
ReplyDeleteBut I am not that dense in other subjects. I did well in my other classes.
@ Senorita... some of us just are better at somethings than at others... for example... you do NOT want to see me try to belly dance... :oD
ReplyDelete~shoes~