"I'm Your Huckleberry..."
John Henry 'Doc' Holliday (August 14, 1851 – November 8, 1887) was an American dentist, gambler, and gunfighter (not necessarily in that order) during the days of the American Old West... it is claimed that he once had a dental practice in Dallas, Texas, just about one block east from where Dealey Plaza is located... realizing he could make more money gambling than he could by practicing dentistry, he changed careers and moved further West...
He did become friends with Wyatt Earp, and Earp did credit Holliday with having saved his life during a gunfight... Holliday was also known to have a very short fuse when it came to his temper, and was of the opinion that it would be far better to die in a gunfight than in bed from his disease...
There have been many movies made about Doc Holliday and Wyatt Earp and their relationship... in 1994, 'Wyatt Earp' was released, and featured Kevin Costner as Earp and Dennis Quaid as Holliday... in 1993, my favorite Earp movie, 'Tombstone' was released... Kurt Russell portrayed Earp and Val Kilmer played the part of Doc Holliday. I like Kilmer's portrayal the best...
Kilmer just seemed to portray Holliday with somewhat of a devil-may care attitude... playing up to the idea that Holliday would rather die in a gunfight than by tuberculosis.
If you are curious as to why two movies were made so close to each other, Costner and Russell were working on the same project, and differences in the way the movie should proceed arose... and Russell went off to make his own version...
One of my favorite scenes in the movie occurs when Johnny Ringo, a notorious gunfighter himself, challenges the Earps to a duel in the street... and it plays out like this...
Who knows if a confrontation like this ever played out, other than for Hollywood theatrics... but one thought is that the use of the phrase, "I'm your huckleberry..." was interpreted to mean, that Holliday "was the man for the job"... the man for the job of disposing of Ringo.
However, other popular usage for 'huckleberry' was for the sake of comparison... to be a"huckleberry" was to be at least second best, or inferior in nature... so in that scene, one could argue that Holliday was trying to entice Ringo to pull his pistol on him... that Holliday was admitting to not being a gunfighter of the same quality as Ringo.
This interpretation is reinforced in a scene towards the end of the movie... when Ringo is expecting Earp to show up for a gunfight, and instead, Holliday shows up. The depiction is that Ringo is scared of Holliday... not afraid of Earp...
The scenario plays out almost exactly the same way as it did earlier in the streets in Tombstone... "I'm your huckleberry"... again, almost egging Ringo to draw... after having shot Ringo, Holliday tells him, "you're no daisy... you're no daisy at all"...
Just as "huckleberry" was used to imply a lesser quality, to be a "daisy" was to be the best quality... so as Ringo was dying in the movie, Holliday was still goading him onward...
In reality, Johnny Ringo's death is a mystery... officially it is listed as a suicide, although is does appear that evidence exists that could implicate Holliday... so this last scene is another example of Hollywood embellishment.
Unfortunately, Doc Holliday did die in an asylum for those with Tuberculosis. There were sulfur springs there that were thought to improve one's ability to breathe, but now it's known that it probably aggravated his illness.
He died in bed from a disease... a death that it was known he did not want... and he died without his boots... in his sock feet.
His last words were reputed to be, after having looked down toward his feet,
'Damn, this is funny...'
~shoes~



I won't allow you to ruin huckleberries for me.
ReplyDelete:)
My grandma picked huckleberries every fall until she was 85. Made the best jam and jelly out of them!
As far as I know, she was never in a gunfight, although I did once hear her say 'earp'. But that was after some not quite okay potato salad.
Yeah, things never seem to turn out quite how we plan, huh? :-)
ReplyDeleteNow thats a mustache right there!! lol.
ReplyDeleteSo, if one doesn't want to die of their disease, they should find someone faster on the draw to help them out?
ReplyDeleteNice post Shoes!
I gotta say that when I was just in Tombstone, I couldn't help thinking about the history that passed those streets. When you see the people in reenactment costumes in character, it really feels like a time shift.
ReplyDeleteI love that movie as well and particularly the quote. It has been incorporated in pop culture, and I use it here and there. Either "I'm your huckleberry" or "I ain't your huckleberry". Mostly I have used the "ain't your huckleberry" because it fits in so well in many situations. It is amazing the history of old cowboys. I lived in a town in Cali where one of the James gang boys built rock houses and they became historical (of course).
ReplyDelete"I'm your huckleberry" sounds like a good pick up line to me.
ReplyDeleteBEST MOVIE EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love me some Tombstone....
ReplyDeleteOh and this past weekend I started reading "Doc" by Mary Doria Russell..... so far it's fantastic.
"Say when....."
I loved Tombstone, funny we never do get to pick the way we would rather go. Today he would be healthy.
ReplyDeleteI have to admit I loved Dennis Quaid better as the sickly Doc. But either way, he lived quite the life. It is sad that he died that way too. But he sure was a true friend. How many people can say that to this day?
ReplyDeleteI'd rather die in a gunfight too. What a hellova story it would leave for the grandkids, if I ever get any. I sure don't want to die in a hospital bed. Or on the toilet (God forbid, as many oldsters do). Let me go out doing something I love....something with a story in it. Ha!
ReplyDeleteAmi... LMBO... you ain't right!!! And you Grandmother sounds like a character!!
ReplyDelete@ Max... Yeah, Life has a way of throwing curves our way...
@ That's quite a 'stache going on!!!
~shoes~
I agree, Kilmer's portrayal is probably the definitive one
ReplyDeleteI may be wrong here (I often am!) but didn't Dennis Quaid also portray Doc in a movie? I seem to remember the film makers really accentuating the "tuberculosis" factor of his character, and Quaid looked sickly and sunken-cheeked.
ReplyDeleteI didn't know he died in bed after all, though. That makes me a little sad. At least he lived an exciting life up until then!
@ Linda... I'm not necssarily saying that's how I would handle it... but it does sound like a viable option!!
ReplyDelete@ AutumnForest... that would most definitely have to be different... I can't imagine what it would have been back to have lived back then...
@ Bluezy... I would love to see that house... that sounds interesting... that was a different time in our history...
@ Lemonade... LMBO... are you going to start using it as one?
@ Whiskey Girl... I will have to look for that book... 'When...' ;o)
@ Bathwater... yeah, today there would be great treatment for his condition... and you are right, we don't get to pick how we depart this place...
@ Bouncin' Barb... it's been a while since I've seen the version with Dennis Quaid... he gave a great depiction of Doc as well... As for friends, you are ever so right about that... someone that would put his/her life on the line for yours? A great friend to have...
@ Annie... LMBO... I totally agree with you... I hope that I never hear that you went with your drawers down around your ankles...
Well... wait... maybe if you were doing something else that required that, it might be different... ;o) :oD
@ Elliot... I agree... there was some of that 'in-your-face' stuff there that I really liked in his portrayal...
@ Anything Fits... Yes, Dennis Quaid played Holliday in Kevin Costner's 'Wyatt Earp'... a great representation as well... both movies are good... I liked both!!!
I hope all is well with YOU!
~shoes~
Ah....... I haven't seen any of the movies - but I do know the story!!! I heard all about "I'm Your Huckleberry" just a couple of weeks ago!
ReplyDeletecrazy.
I should really watch more movies or something...
xoxo
gobbles
Very interesting...very interesting Professor Red Shoes...
ReplyDeleteIsn't this one of the bloggers' mottos?
Mmm....yeah Whiskey Girl. She's a nice gal...
StormyDawn
@ Gobbles... That's one of my favorite westerns and one of my favorite characters... another favorite western is Clint Eastwood's 'Unforgiven'... great actors in that movie...
ReplyDelete@ Stormy Marples... I think it's interesting as well!! Yep... now that you mention it, I see that is on her blog...
She must have seen the movie...
~shoes~
He definitely had the most exquisite sense of style, didn't he? Ah, gotta love that moustache too.
ReplyDeleteTech Me
Oh who knows Professor Red Shoes--we'll have to ask Whiskey Girl sometime about how she came about this motto for herself. Maybe it's in her blog. She is a very interesting character. I've been reading her blog but I haven't had the opportunity to read it all the way through. I would like to keep up with her life as well. She "followed" me. But I've since left my blogspot for good, too many people not telling the truth. I have no use for liars in my life. I can't take chances like that anymore. Not when I am willing to be truthful about my life for everyone to see.
ReplyDeleteI guess my motto would be "I am ur Daisy." (Not ur daisy hahaha) Just in general "I am ur Daisy."
StormyDawn
The only Doc Holiday I like (one L in this one) is the one where Michael J. Fox gets the girl. Sorry...
ReplyDelete