Sunday, November 27, 2011

Words... 


"It's only words... 
and words are all I have... 
to take your heart away..."


These are lyrics from the song, "Words," written and performed by the Gibbs Brothers... we knew them as the BeeGees... I read the other day that Robin Gibbs has been diagnosed with liver cancer... what a shame...


I like words... I wish that I were better with them than I am...


Ethereal...
I like that word.  It means:

  • 'almost light as air'
  • 'celestial or spiritual'
  • 'extremely delicate or refined; exquisite.

I also like the word, Ephemeral...  It means:

  • 'short-lived'
  • 'lasting one day'

When I was a kid, I LOVED Jimi Hendrix... I remember buying one of his albums and going home, putting it on the turntable, putting on my headphones and listening to 'All Along The Watchtower'...


I was thinking about this song the other day, and I started to think... this song sounds ethereal... light... airy... I can remember wearing the headphones, and listening to what a fantastic job the engineer had done in mixing and arranging the tracks... the guitar work would flow from on ear to the other and back... and I would sit and follow the sound with my eyes.

Another Hendrix song that sounds ethereal to me is "The Wind Cries Mary..."

It's the same kind of thing... especially during his instrumentals... so fluid like... everything just flows... back and forth through my head...

I've read that Hendrix is deemed to be responsible for having saved the Fender Stratocaster... that guitar had been created for a small market, and just wasn't selling in large enough numbers to continue to justify the manufacture of it... Fender had decided to cease the manufacture of it... then Hendrix hits it big... and everyone wanted a Strat... go figure.

Jimi and one of his Strats

Here is one of Jimi's more obscure songs... unless you are really a big fan of his, you probably haven't heard this one.  


To really enjoy it, I think you need a great sound card in your computer, great speakers, and a volume knob that goes to 'eleven.'

"it's louder... it goes to 11..."
'Spinal Tap'

So, I guess it's easy to say then that Jimi's life was ephemeral... short-lived. He was only 27 when he died.

But, when compared to Time itself, maybe we are ephemeral... we are here only a short time.
_____________

The past week has been so bizarre... last Sunday night, my vehicle broke down when the alternator decided to stop working. I was so fortunate as to where it decided to die... I was a good distance from home, but I happened to coast to a stop underneath the awning of a service station that was closed for the night, but had left it's lights on.  I was able to contact a towing company to come and take me and the vehicle home.

Anyway, I playing everything over and over and over in my head, I realized how fortunate I was... I could have been broken down out in the dark along the highway somewhere... with no form of protection... I hadn't carried a pistol with me... I would have been an easy target.

The chaos from that event carried forward into the Thanksgiving holiday (family, you understand...), and to make a very long story short, I don't feel well.

I feel emotionally drained... I feel physically drained... I feel 'lost...' I feel as if I am without a direction or a path... and at my age, that's not good.

I am hoping that a counselor that really made a difference in my Life a few years ago is still around... I need her.

When I feel like this, I tend to shrink my world... if that makes any sense to you... I bring everything close in to me, and I tend to not venture outside of that enclosure. Maybe that is why I haven't written a post in almost two weeks.

I don't like feeling like this...


I hope you all had a Happy Thanksgiving Holiday...

~shoes~

16 comments:

  1. i know that feeling, that need to cloister. i hope it all passes soon... thinking of you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Magnolia... hey you. It will pass with time. As you know, Time, in one way or the other, fixes everything... Thank you!

    ~shoes~

    ReplyDelete
  3. SHOOOOOOOOES!!!!!!!! I am at your heals... right there. You keep stepping on me. It's not your fault. I'm following you very closely but not too closely (if you know what I mean and I know you do). I'm following you because I relate and I respect.

    SHOOOOOOOOES!!!!!! I love you.... feel it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. p.s. (there is always an after thought with me) really appreciated the Hendrix and I am not good at holidays. did you read my "I'm the Turkey" my family sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Red,
    So sorry for the way you've been feeling these past few weeks. I don't know if this is going be any comfort but the New Year is slowly approaching and I do hope things change for the better. Thinking of you & sending good vibes.

    P.S. I love the lyrics you posted at the beginning. So simple yet so powerful/emotional at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the flashback to Hendrix. I'd forgotten how good he was with that guitar, playing it as if it were an extension of his body. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "I tend to shrink my world... if that makes any sense to you... I bring everything close in to me, and I tend to not venture outside of that enclosure."

    YES.I plod from one must do to another. And if it's not on the must do list? Doesn't get done.

    Saying 'been there' doesn't seem adequate, but it's all I got.

    ((hugs?))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey shoes..... when I feel like shrinking from the world... that is when I force myself to reach out to those closest to me.... and.... like my own personal crazy people medicine... they always help. You should try the same..... maybe?
    As for Hendrix.... always always genius!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry things have been rough and emotionally-draining lately. We know what it's like; that sense of lack of direction is alarming and it's something we have dealt with. As Jill is a teacher, we find ourselves frequently unsettled, moving to wherever the teaching jobs are - and in California they're scarce. Believe it or not, I find that music calms me, and I appreciate the Hendrix. He's always been one of my favorites.

    -Jack

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jimi was #1 in Rolling Stones' just released top 100 guitar players. Rightfully so.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i am so much the opposite...
    i live cloistered within myself and when i get really fretful i then don't know how much deeper to go because i'm already internalizing life and all things that twirl around in it. words are hard for me.

    i'm here for you. always.

    all my love.
    robelyn

    p.s. hendrix? augh! he's sooooo a balm to the soul.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I understand the need to close down, I am doing it now as part of dealing with Billy I have been shutting my other friends off for a while. I need to deal with Billy in my own way and I don't need the pressure of others dwelling on my actions.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do the same thing. Isn't it strange, when we need people the most, we hibernate and shrink our skin. Maybe for protection, because we feel unsure. I don't know. But I have done it countless times. I'm so sorry you are out of sorts. The holidays do that to people. They are at once joyous and sad. Take care my friend and let me know if there is anything I can do.

    ~Annie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Listening to Mandisa's "Broken Hallelujan", Ce Ce Winans' "I Surrender All" and "Mercy Said No." always puts me in another place of joyfulness when feeling blue.

    Plus writing in a journal helps immensely.

    I think it is a good idea to return to your counselor especially since you've posted in past how it helped u.

    It always helps to know that someone or several friends are listening when we cry out for the need to feel cared about and loved.

    I wish for you these blue moments to pass especially since your favorite holiday is coming up.

    StormyDawn

    ReplyDelete
  15. "I don't feel well.

    I feel emotionally drained... I feel physically drained... I feel 'lost...'"

    You, sir, just described how I feel every time I have to go to a function with The Wife. I don't do crowds, or gatherings, and it takes everything out of me.

    I hope you feel better soon, and find something to help you through.

    Peace, sir.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are ripping my heart out. Hugs and healthy wishes to you.

    Thanksgiving begins a four month long difficult period for me. So many memories crammed into those months. I miss my mom like mad. She WAS Christmas Spirit. But the chaos of the season brought on my other members of the family... do not miss.

    Again, I am feeling it for you. Know that your words travel across the miles to all us, your blog-family, and we are sending Good Vibrations your way!

    ReplyDelete